Procrastination

I should be working on the new story right now but I'm not. I'm reading the blogs of fellow writers and literary agents. I don't think this counts as progress. But, then again, at least I'm reading about writing.

It's really easy to get lost in message boards reading about other writers' ups and downs on the publishing front.

There's a major plot point I have to figure out with this new story and I'm hoping it will just pop into my head. I doubt that's going to happen. I need to open the file on my desktop and stare at my notes and try to formulate some kind of conflict and motivation.

I don't really outline. I've tried, but I find it hard to do. I just wing it and see where it takes me. Sometimes I have a general idea, a tattered road map with destinations, but things change along the way. That's the joy of the journey, right?

Hmmm. Ok. Now I'm in the frame of mind to tackle it for a few hours. Just typing this out has helped. This blogging really is a cheap form of therapy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Found you through Aprilynne Pike's blog. Just thought I'd say, I agree, when I read, "It's really easy to get lost in message boards reading about other writers' ups and downs on the publishing front."

I wish there was some way to be on two universes at the same time, the one where we write our novels, and one where we network.

Good luck!