Becoming something or chasing someone

How many times have you seen these words as an intro to a book or film title?

Chasing (insert name here) Amy, Harry Winston, Daylight, etc.
Becoming (insert proper noun or verb here) Jane, A Madman, Quincy.

I mean no offense to anyone with one of these titles. I'm just wondering if it was the writer's decision or the publisher's.

Maybe someone did a psycho-graphic profile of potential readers and saw that their synapses fired when they saw books that began with one of these words. What's your theory?

4 comments:

Elise Murphy said...

Have you read the flap copy to David Sedaris' latest book. He skewers this . . .to the point I was SURE I had accidentally picked up the wrong book.

Ronald L. Smith said...

I like David Sedaris. I'll have to look for that.


Chasing David Sedaris. See? It works with everything.

Sarah J Clark said...

Cool blog. Glad you found me. I'll be visiting yours more frequently!

Keep writing!!!

Ray Veen said...

My theory: lack of imagination.